In most cases, in order to ensure the highest patient satisfaction and system uptime large scaled medical equipment are fortified with remote service capabilities for a full remote access and diagnosis to ensure that small problems do not turn into big downtime. This level of pre-emptive monitoring and trending of key performance indicators have come in ensuring an interruption-free imaging, detection efficiency, and patient evaluations.
Needing Repair/ UpgradesLarge scaled medical equipment such as a linear accelerator are complicated devices that contains hundreds, if not thousands of parts that play a cohesive role to safely generate beams of radiation that kill cancer and save human lives. Irreparable damage to any of these vital parts of a linear accelerator (an upgrade itself) would cost a hospital thousands of dollars, not forgetting that the medical equipment weighs several thousand pounds and the cost of having it professionally and safely dismantled, removed and properly disposed of can, needless to say, be unspeakable.
Using a Professional TechBefore any large scaled medical equipment can reach a zero market value, it is important to work with reputable and professional linear accelerator technicians who by rights, go through a rigorous five-step procedure to make ensure the installation of the replaced parts are ready for use again in a refurbished linear accelerator and at a bundled discounts on software and other accessories.
The main components of a linear accelerator include the gantry, the stand, the modulator cabinet, control console, and the treatment couch - each with critical components within it that has undergone rigorous testing to ensure optimal performance. When it comes to refurbished linear devices, only independent refurbishment companies can provide a full beam testing.
Roles of a TechnicianBiomedical equipment technician with a Bachelors’ degree in electrical or mechanical engineering will typically perform the following roles when refurbishing a linear accelerator:
- Provide preventive maintenance scheduling and responding to down machines
- A technician can assist in the design and modification of treatment accessories
- Ensure that each damaged piece of a linear accelerator undergoes thorough testing
- Maintain inventory and order parts for linear accelerators
- Organize vendor service and documentation
- Carry out an assembly, functional testing and replace parts as needed
- Assess the uniformity, balance and dosimetry system of the dose output
- Carry out a cosmetic assessment process of the patient couch and whether it needs to be professionally covered with OEM textured paint
- He or she will carry out a 17 point pre-shipment check list and inventory
- Arrange transportation if necessary
- Conduct operational checks and adjustments in order to ensure that the linear accelerator meets all the original equipment manufacturers (OEM) specifications
Acceletronics is an independent service company dedicated to delivering the best equipment performance and service reliability from Linear Accelerators and CT Scanners across all major brands and models. Learn more about Acceletronics and their selection of new and refurbished linear accelerators and CT scanners today at http://www.acceletronics.com. To contact one of our LINAC experts call 610.524.3300.